When taking the leap to start a business, it pays to have a few skilled professionals behind you. Although you may be a natural with managing finances and employees along with marketing and delivering the goods or services the firm will provide, there’s true piece of mind when all of the bases are truly covered. Local business attorney Wesley Scott Jones has helped hundreds of clients in the greater Wilmington area develop a blueprint for success.
As with most endeavors, creating a foolproof plan is key. With that idea in mind, please consider these tips for streamlining a business startup.
- Hire an attorney, such as Wes, who is well versed in all aspects of business and contract law.
- Hire a local accountant who is also familiar with the territory. As a business owner, you will discover that in the long run, having experts on your team in those two disciplines is priceless.
Next, your attorney and accountant will be able to advise and guide you on aspects such as:
- Structuring your business entity
- Registering with the local, state, and federal tax offices
- Protecting yourself from deadbeat clients (See: Collection of Past Due Accounts)
- Preparing for employee issues, such as Noncompetition Agreements, Independent Contractor Agreements, Employment Agreements, and defining your responsibilities to those individuals
- Contract drafting
- Draft and implement company policies, including terms of service, disclosure, and privacy matters
- Financial aspects such as payroll, income tax forms, profit and loss statements
Please note that the above tips are merely suggestions and each company will have its own list of areas to address. Because every business is unique and laws and financial guidelines vary state by state and even county by county, having skilled professionals at your disposal is just the responsible thing to do.
Attorney Wesley Scott Jones would be happy to discuss more about the essential steps you’ll need to consider for your specific company. To schedule an appointment for a free consultation please give his office a call at now 910-256-5800.
Wesley Jones is a Business Lawyer serving all of Southeastern North Carolina including New Hanover County (e.g. Wilmington, Kure Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Carolina Beach and the areas of Ogden, Masonboro, Myrtle Grove, Landfall, and Mayfair), all of Pender County (e.g. Burgaw, Surf City, Hampstead and Topsail Beach) and all of Brunswick County (e.g. Bald Head Island, Bolivia, Calabash, Leland, Shallotte, Southport, Saint James, Ocean Isle, and Oak Island).